Lame Deer man sentenced to more than 17 years after high-speed chase, shootout with officers

Man led law enforcement on a high-speed chase that ended in a shootout with officers, who returned fire.

This article was originally published by Four Points Press on February 11, 2022.

A Lame Deer man was sentenced Thursday, Feb. 10 to 17 years and four months in prison to be followed by five years of supervised release after he led law enforcement on a high-speed chase that ended in a shootout with officers, who returned fire, wounding him on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation, U.S. Attorney Leif M. Johnson said in a press release.

Antoine Robert Threefingers, 37, was convicted by a jury on Sept. 17, 2021, of assault on a federal officer, assault with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence and prohibited person in possession of a firearm. U.S. District Judge Susan P. Watters presided over the case.

The government presented evidence at trial that on Sept. 1, 2020, a Bureau of Indian Affairs police officer, identified as John Doe 1, attempted a routine traffic stop of Threefingers. Threefingers stopped initially, then fled as Doe 1 approached, engaging officers in a 25-minute, high-speed chase with speeds exceeding 100 miles per hour on dirt roads and on U.S. Hwy 212. Three additional BIA officers and a Rosebud County Sheriff’s deputy joined the pursuit.

While driving, Threefingers pulled out a gun and put it to his head before turning it on law enforcement. Threefingers fired a shot at Doe 1 and continued driving, court documents reported.

Threefingers eventually led law enforcement to a dirt road near Birney, where he stopped his vehicle and exchanged gunfire with Doe 1. Another BIA officer later exchanged gunfire with Threefingers. Other officers nearby described Threefingers’ shots sailing over their heads, records reported they did not return fire.

Threefingers reportedly ran from his car while continuing to shoot at law enforcement. Officers shot Threefingers, who fell to the ground and continued firing. Officers approached and detained Threefingers, who was transported to the hospital and treated for injuries. Law enforcement recovered a Colt .45-caliber pistol and multiple casings near Threefingers.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office prosecuted the case, which was investigated by the FBI and Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Sign up for Four Points Press, our free email newsletter

Get the latest headlines right in your inbox